Autism Solutions Incorporated Forum

Autism Solutions Incorporated is a not-for-profit organisation in Western Australia. We encourage individuals and families touched by the Autism Spectrum to participate in this forum.

HomeHome  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Making Bread

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Del

PostSubject: Making Bread   Sun Nov 23, 2008 8:48 am

Very Happy

I make gluten free bread in my breadmaker for Courntey who's 12 years and has ASD and Coeliac disease (needs gluten free diet for the rest of his life). I make the bread 2 loaves at a time and then slice and freeze - he usually only has it for toast unless he manages to gouge! lol some from a fresh loaf or I think to make him a sandwich on the day I make them for him to enjoy.

For quite some time now I have had him "help" me by scooping out the bread mix into the measuring bowl on top of the electronic scales. Much help needed from me to get him there. A couple of times ago I started writing 450g on a piece of paper and making him look more carefully at how he scooped the breadmix to reach 450g.

WELL!!! today I let him go.......all by himself he scooped with a spoon, keeping good watch on the digital reading and he made smaller and smaller scoops as he got to the 450 mark - he went past a bit and carefully scooped a tiny bit out until he reached a perfect 450g.

Once I had got that loaf going, as I usually do, I got him to measure the second loaf's mix out - he did exactly the same thing.

I am so proud of him!!!! For a so called lower functioning kid I thought that was VERY special. High fives all round!

cheers

Del
PS I think he deserves a couple of fresh big slices with chocolate spread when they are cooked and cool. cheers
Back to top Go down
View user profile
stef6angelz

PostSubject: Re: Making Bread   Sun Nov 23, 2008 10:51 pm

I can hear Leanne now..."Every little step is a big step... Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Donna

PostSubject: Re: Making Bread   Wed Nov 26, 2008 12:59 pm

Congrats Smile
Donna
Back to top Go down