Autism Solutions Incorporated Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Autism Solutions Incorporated Forum

Autism Solutions Incorporated is a not-for-profit organisation in Western Australia. We encourage individuals and families touched by the Autism Spectrum to participate in this forum.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Respite - who have you used?

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Del

Del

Respite - who have you used? Empty
PostSubject: Respite - who have you used?   Respite - who have you used? Icon_minitimeThu Sep 25, 2008 9:04 am

We have no family close enough here to support us with babysitting or respite.

Since #1 was diagnosed at 2years 8 months we have regularly used ACTIV's in home respite service (not the babysitting one) and have had mixed success. Some of the carers are absolutely fabulous and have become part of our family for a while and others had their flaws. Some are doing UNI - eg speech, OT, primary teaching, etc and so are interested in learning a lot more about our kids. Some are even keen to try out their methods and use them for assessments for UNI. Surprised Fees are worked out on your annual income. If you are struggling financially, no matter what your income, you can ask for an assessment for a fee reduction.

We've also employed some carers privately, cash in hand, and have been able to choose the ones we offer this to. Usually this is around $15.00 per hour. We have workers compensation insurance "just in case" through CGU. Costs about $200 per year We've even had a couple of them stay overnight from time to time, fee is less or one carer refused to let us pay her while she was asleep. Surprised

Over the last few years ACTIV have found recruiting and keeping good carers more and more difficult and at times we have "gone without" due to no one being available.

Earlier this year I used the Find A Babysitter FAB website service www.findababysitter.com.au - you pay to join and then you can search for carers/babysitters. You can do a trial search to see what's available but you have to join to access the contact info - the search IS an accurate indication of what's available. It might be worth you checking it out. Most have police checks or working with children checks already - many have first aid. Cost ranges from $12.00 to $20.00 per hour. You can also post a message like an advert inviting applications for a carer - that's what I did. All included. There was a huge range replied to me, but lots I think were put off by our children both having autism. I interviewed 3 and all were great/suitable. One was a German exchange student and has now moved over east, one was a uni student and is now too busy and the other is fabulous but charges $20.00 per hour if hands on - she's worth it though.

Who have you used?? what was the cost?? and what outcome? Neutral

cheers
Del
Wink
Back to top Go down

Respite - who have you used?
Page 1 of 1